Answering Common Guinea Fowl Questions
Answering some common Guinea Fowl questions today! If these are on your shopping list for spring, and you’re new to Guinea keeping, here’s some tips:
1. BREED // I have lavender guineas. I researched that they tend to be a quieter more relaxed breed. Compared to the white and helmeted breeds I’ve also had, I would say this is true. They’re not as high strung.
2. WANDERING // My guineas DO stay close to home, even when free ranging. I started them in a Guinea tractor my dad and I built. This allowed me to pass them through the entire property, keep them safe when young, and ensure all the ticky areas were grazed. After about three months in the tractor, they now get free range time. They know their home and don’t wander.
3. NOISE // Guinea fowl make noise, but no more so than our ducks and geese. What I didn’t expect was that they’d follow me everywhere all day, everyday. I have ten shadows now. They also tap on my windows when I go inside. #stalkers 🙄
4. FLOCK INTERMIXING // My guineas started in the tractor in the duck and goose field. They came to see the flock as non-threatening and are not territorial towards my other birds.
5. ROOSTING // The guineas are out 24/7 and roost in the trees above the ducks and geese by night. In inclement weather, I leave the barn door open and then go inside to roost if they prefer.
6. TICK REMOVAL // After a summer of Lymes for me and my dogs, I brought in guineas to remove ticks. Their presence has absolutely plummeted and we rarely find ticks now.
WOULD I GET THEM AGAIN? In a heartbeat.
Comments are closed.
Angela is the farmer and content creator behind Axe & Root Homestead LLC. This historic six-acre permaculture farm is home to two Clydesdale horses, ten honeybee hives, five sheep, two guardian dogs, barn cats and a flock of 40 geese and ducks. The farm produces maple syrup, fruit from a small orchard and loads of garden produce for consumption, preservation and donation to the local food pantry.
The Sustainable Homestead, is out for pre-order NOW!